This salad reminds of the summer but you know me, I can't resist a fabulous salad so I will eat this anytime of year. It's so simple, tasty and full of amazing nutrients. I had this for lunch yesterday and it filled me right up and it fits right in with my current spring clean(s)e...a 6-week plant-based diet.
Awhile back I wrote a blog post on Plant-Based Proteins. YES there are many sources of protein in plant-based foods. This salad has sunflower seeds and nutritional yeast...both of which are great protein sources. It also includes some good fats...YES there are good fats. Avocado is the perfect good fat.
There are so many amazing health benefits of avocados. Did you know that avocados are a fruit? Here are just a few of the health benefits of eating avocados:
HEALTHY HEART: PACKED WITH UNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS WHICH HELP LOWER CHOLESTEROL LEVELS
HEALTHY BRAIN: HIGH IN OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS (THE GOOD KIND OF FAT). GOOD FATS ARE BRAIN-HEALTHY FOODS
BLOOD PRESSURE: CONTAIN MORE POTASSIUM THAN A BANANA AND THIS HELPS REDUCE BLOOD PRESSURE
WEIGHT LOSS: HIGH IN FIBRE AND LOW IN CARBOHYDRATES. BOTH OF THESE AID IN WEIGHT LOSS
Tomato & Avocado Salad Recipe
Serves: 1-2 Time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. Chop tomato, avocado and cucumber and add to bowl.
2. Mix in sunflower seeds nutritional yeast, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix salad thoroughly but gently.
4. Serve immediately or chill in fridge until ready to serve.
5. Enjoy all of its yumminess!
Happy Salad Making!