Can you tell I love making my own non-dairy milks? By now I'm really, really hoping you have tried making my Homemade Almond Milk and my Homemade Coconut Milk. If not, no big deal. In the mean time, here's another amazing milk to add to your list...hemp seed milk! Now you can try making all three at once haha. I'm joking...well kinda sorta. ;)
I haven't purchased any dairy-free milks from the store in several years.. Although it is more time consuming making your own, I love that rewarding feeling when I'm done. Right now, things are also a bit more difficult for me with a newborn but I'm working around baby Armin's feeding, naps, and poops and while the girls are at school. It's funny because Armin is so used to the sound of the Vitamix that I'm sure he thinks it's a soothing lullaby haha.
I usually have two different dairy-free milks made and in my fridge at all times. Jas and I have smoothies every morning and I rotate the milks each day. My family also enjoys them in our granola, cereal or on their own to drink. Just last night, I made my girls chocolate coconut milk and they loved it.
My favourite brand of hemp hearts is the Manitoba Harvest raw, shelled hemp seeds. It also helps that Costco sells these large bags. Side note for my local readers: Costco has a lot of amazing natural foods like hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut oil...just to name a few.
Hemp seed milk has a very strong nutty, grassy flavour and you can definitely taste the true essence of the seed. The beauty of making your own milk is that you can create your own flavour with different healthy ingredients like mejdool dates, sea salt, vanilla.
Hemp seeds are an incredibly nutritious SUPER FOOD and they are technically a nut and are also referred to as hemp hearts. Here are some of the health benefits of adding hemp seeds to your diet.
hemp seeds are a great source of plant-based protein because they are a complete protein and they contain all 10 essential amino acids
hemp seeds are rich in fatty acids including omega-3, omega-6 and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA)
Hemp seeds are high in fiber and are rich in minerals including magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium
hemp seeds are a great source of vitamin E
the health benefits of consuming hemp seeds include: improved digestive and cardiovascular health | decreased arthritis and joint pain | healthy skin, nails and hair
Homemade Hemp Seed Milk Recipe
Serves: 3-4 cups Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups hemp hearts
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1-2 Mejdool dates (optional) **Dates give the milk a sweeter taste. Don't forget to take out the pit first
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - alcohol free (optional) **Perfect for vanilla flavoured hempmilk
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt (optional)
1. Add hemp hearts, water and any optional ingredients to blender.
2. Blend until you get a creamy, milk-like consistency.
3. To maximize the nutitional benefit of the milk, dont strain it through a nut milk bag. However, you can definitely choose to strain which is totally fine too. For pictures on how to strain the milk through a nut milk bag, check out my Homemade Almond Milk post and I have step-by-step images there. :)
4. Transfer hemp seed milk to jars or pitchers and refrigerate. The milk stays fresh for 3-4 days.
Enjoy on its own or in smoothies or with cereal or granola!