Here's a perfectly delicious and healthy snack for you! YES snacks can be delicious AND healthy...there really is such a thing. Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo Beans are a common ingredient in Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines. Some popular foods made from chickpeas include hummus (one of my favourites), falafels, chickpea curry or as my fellow Indians know channa masala or chole masala. Chickpeas also make for a great snack on their own.
I just made a batch of roasted chickpeas for my family and I'm pretty sure Lily and Olivia devoured half of it within minutes. My girls are foodies to say the least. ;)
Chickpeas are a popular legume and they have an abundance of health benefits. Here are just a few of the reasons why you should incorporate them into your diet:
protein: Great source of vegetarian/vegan-friendly protein. combine with other sources of non-meat protein including nuts and whole grains
fiber: Rich source of both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Fiber aids in promoting a healthy digestive system
blood sugar: stabilizes blood sugar levels and this is helpful for weight loss as it controls appetite. great for diabetics as its low on the Glycemic index (GI)
nutrients: Source of Manganese & iron (energy boosting) and Zinc & copper (immune system boosting)
Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Serves: 2-4 Time: 45 minutes
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of flavour(s) of choice (garlic, tamari sauce, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin & more!)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Drain the can of chickpeas and rinse thoroughly under water for several minutes.
3. Place them on a paper towel and dry thoroughly. The skin will fall off some of them and you can either keep it on the rest or take it off as you dry the chickpeas.
4. Toss the chickpeas with olive oil, salt and whatever flavour your heart desires.
5. Place on parchment paper on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minute or until brown and crunchy.