I'm hoping you like garlic because this recipe has enough garlic to keep any vampire away. If you're not into garlic, then I'm not sure you and I are going to be friends. Haha I'm kidding...well kinda. ;) You can always decrease the amount of garlic in this recipe.
A lot of people complain they don't have time to make things from scratch but honestly it's all about planning ahead and putting your health and tastebuds first. Small steps at a time and before you know it, you won't want to buy foods like guacamole because yours tastes waaay better. That feeling when you know every single ingredient that you are eating...that feeling is awesome.
There are so many amazing health benefits of avocados; the superfood staple of guacamole. Did you know that avocados are a fruit? Here are just a few of the health benefits of eating avocados:
healthy heart: packed with unsaturated fatty acids which help lower cholesterol levels
healthy brain: high in omega-3 fatty acids (the good kind of fat). good fats are brain-healthy foods
blood pressure: contain more potassium than a banana and this helps reduce blood pressure
weight loss: high in fibre and low in carbohydrates. BOth of these aid in weight loss
So here's my famous guacamole recipe. I promise that you will never, ever want to buy guacamole from the store again. Keep in mind that making guacamole isn't an exact science. You can skip some ingredients if they don't suit your tastebuds or you can add more/less of any of the ingredients below to give it a different taste. This is my GO-TO appetizer/snack to serve when friends and family come over. Double ingredients for a larger quantity. :)
Garlicky Guacamole Recipe
Serves: 2-4 Time: 10 minutes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste **I usually add more but it's totally a matter of preference
1. Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Scoop out the avocado into a bowl.
2. Mash avocado with a fork until creamy or you can leave it chunky. That's a matter of taste preference.
3. Add minced garlic, chopped onion, diced tomato and chopped cilantro and mix gently.
4. Now add remaining ingredients of lime or lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper. Stir all ingredients again.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve or serve immediately. If you refrigerate, cover with plastic wrap to avoid the avocado from turning brown.
Enjoy with organic tortilla chips, crackers or fresh veggies!