Honestly I never thought I would be writing a blog post on AM workouts and the amazing benefits of rising before the sun. I'm a morning person now...okay that just sounds weird. I really despised mornings until a few years ago and the snooze button was my best friend. Here I am today talking about waking up early to work out...it's life-changing in a great way.
Sooo I wake up at 5:30 a.m. from Monday to Friday, out the door by 5:45 a.m. and I'm working out with my trainer by 6 a.m. It takes about a week or two to adjust to this routine if you're not used to waking up early but it's absolutely amazing. I love it!
Here are my top 7 reasons for working out in the morning:
1. Exercising in the morning is a great way to jumpstart your metabolism for the day. What does this mean exactly? Exercising keeps your metabolism elevated, sometimes up to 24 hours. This means you're burning more calories all day long.
2. When you exercise in the morning, you will feel energized for the rest of the day. Okay you may be thinking but won't I be tired from waking up so early? Nope! Your body will adjust and I'm telling you, you will feel so refreshed and ready to conquer your day.
3. When you wake up and exercise at the same time every morning, you're regulating your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms. Your body learns to do the same thing every day and this is incredibly beneficial. Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, and blood flow to muscles. Your metabolism and hormones involved in exercise begin to elevate and this helps you feel more alert, energized and ready to go!
4. Remember how I said I have adopted a 'zen' approach to life? Well here is the perfect example. Working out before you do anything else in the morning allows you to start your day with a clear mindset, fresh perspective and you will feel less stressed overall.
5. Morning workouts help regulate your appetite for the rest of the day. Meal times become like clockwork and your food cravings and snacking will decrease significantly. You will eat less and most importantly, choose healthier food options!
6. No, no, noooooo excuses! I get it...we are all busy with work, kids, social lives and the list goes on and on. I have learned that working out in the morning before my girls are even awake, allows me to make this a priority. Nothing gets in the way and it allows you plan your day better.
7. Did you know that...more than 90% of those who exercise consistently have a morning fitness routine. If you want to exercise on a regular basis, the odds are in your favour if you choose the morning for your workout time.
Okay, so have I convinced you that morning workout sessions are where it's at? I promise if you give this a chance and adopt this routine for several weeks...there will be no looking back. Since changing my mid-morning workouts to early-morning workouts, I have felt more refreshed, happy, accomplished, energetic and overall healthier. Give it a try!!!