When life gives you lemons...drink lemon water!
So I have been drinking warm lemon water every morning for quite awhile now. It's amazing, the perfect way to start the day and the health benefits are endless. It's so easy to incorporate this into your daily morning routine. No excuses! Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a cup of warm water and sip away. I usually drink mine while I'm getting ready in the morning...after brushing my teeth of course. ;)
Lemons are a Cleanser, Purifier, Detoxifier, Rejuvenator.
Here are 8 fabulous reasons to start your day with fresh lemon water.
1. Aids in digestion - Proper digestion is everything and such an integral part of our health. Lemon water helps cleanse the bowel by flushing out waste more efficiently and stimulate the release of gastric juices which aids in digestion. Warm lemon water helps relieve symptoms of indigestion such as bloating, belching and heartburn.
2. Boosts immune system - Lemons are high in Vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds and viruses. They are also high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function and also helps control blood pressure. Lemons have an anti-inflammatory effect as they are high in abscorbic acid (vitamin C) and they lessen asthma attacks and other respiratory symptoms. Lemons also enhance iron absorption in the body and iron plays an important role in immune function.
3. Cleanses system and is diuretic - Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted toxins, since lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. This helps keep the urinary tract healthy. Lemon water also aids in maximizing enzyme production and this stimulates liver detoxification.
4. Balances pH levels - Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. On their own, lemons are acidic but inside our bodies they are alkaline. Lemons help balance the acidity in our body, since they contain both citric and ascorbic acid that help alkalize the blood. When the body's pH is acidic, disease is more likely to occur. So ideally we want our body to be more alkaline. By regularly drinking lemon water, the overall acidity in the body is removed. Stay tuned for a blog post coming soon on Acid/Alkaline Forming Foods.
5. Aids in weight loss - Lemons contain pectin fibre, which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster. Remember, lemons are alkalizing.
6. Hydrates your lymph system - A cup of warm lemon water helps hydrate the body by replenishing and replacing lost fluids. If the body is dehydrated, you will feel symptoms of sluggishness, tiredness, low energy levels, decreased immune function, constipation...just to name a few. Stay tuned for a blog post coming soon on Drinking Water.
7. Clears skin - The vitamin C in lemons helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from your blood and it rejuvenates the skin from within your body.
8. Promotes healing - Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) promotes the healing of wounds and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissues and cartilage. It helps in the maintenance of good health and recovery from stress and injury.
Soooo, have I convinced you that drinking warm lemon water every morning is absolutely amazing for you? It's such a simple ritual to add to your daily routine. Start drinking that lemon water tomorrow morning for a glowing and healthier YOU!